Berlin Picks

Best Shop
Mulackstraße 38

The German ambassadors of art fashion. Fabulous objects with a touch of weirdness: Cable jewellery, wooden watches, wig brushes. Always worth a closer look and definitely putting a smile on your face.

Best Second Hand I
Made in Berlin
Neue Schönhauser Str. 19

Here we found Lynn's beautiful Findig shoes. I guess by now they are her best friends and follow her everywhere. I don't really know if I ever bought something there, but it's always fun to dress up in 80s shorts and Tiroler hat.

Best Second Hand II
Paul's Boutique
Oderberger Str. 45-47

Robot toys, sneakers and vintage designer clothes. You'll get it all. And best of all: You can haggle. One tiny little thing I expect when I want to shop second hand. Recently I found some amazing black leather shows with a golden inscription saying 'Gallus' - also the name of the Frankfurt ghetto.

Best Café
Bonanza Coffee Heroes
Oderberger Str. 35

A super nice interior with trashy plastic canes, fake flowers, industrial lamps and rough walls. The perfect place to start the day with a beautifully decorated coffee and a chocolate croissant.

Best Fleamarket
Flohmarkt Arkonaplatz

Small and nice, this flea market only offers the creme de la creme. Nice records from Amanda Lear, plimsole shoes for 1 Euro, big advertising sign letters, necklace charms. And once, I also found 20 Euros in a pair of shoes I bought. Definitely a good catch!

Best Breakfast
Anklamer Straße 27

For a Bavarian breakfast in Berlin, you have to go to Weltempfänger. Free WLAN and maybe the best breakfast in town, close to the Sunday flea markets and shopping spots at Oderberger Straße.

Best Concept Store I
Rochstrasse 4

Besides the own line, WoodWood offers outrageous pieces by Henrik Vibskov, Commes des Garçons or Cheap Monday. As well as a selection of magazines, toys and beauty products. Even though it is very sportswear focused, you can definitely find one or two nice pieces for your closet.

Best Concept Store II
Temporary Showroom
Kastanienallee 36

Here I found all the old issues of BUTT for my toilet collection. They also carry German and Scandinavian brands like Odeur, Pulver, qed and Reality Studio. For both men and women.

Best Book Shop
Pro qm
Almstadtstraße 48-50

Magazines, magazines, magazines. Everyone knows I am addicted. So I always have to browse through their shelves. Nowhere else you'll find trashy sex fanzines and glossy high-fashion magazines side by side.

Most Random Place
Dr. Pong
Eberswalder Straße 21

The smell of spilled beer, cigarette smoke, and the sound of ping pong - At Dr. Pong you are instantly thrown back to good old school excursion days. Very dirty and rough and fun. Our beloved Charly Angel almost made it to the finals.


Cyber puppy 007 said...

funny. Im in berlin now. And Ive been to almost eveything you listed. You forgot Star Styling (?). I didnt find anything there, but Im a sucker for lots of green plants. Aufwiederseen

zhori said...

ich gehe ja endlich in 2-3 wochen dahin. deine tipps schaun sehr hot aus. gut fürn schrank, grausam fürn geldbeutel.. ;'(

minimalist said...

horst, sag mal, bleibst du länger in berlin? bin ab donnerstag nämlich auch da...

mette/ungt blod said...

Perfect list. will not be going to berlin until this summer, but i will try and save your list somewhere in cyberspace for then. Apartment has been my favourite secret in berlin for years!

Fenke said...

school excursion days - that is also what i associated with dr. pong: jugenherbergsfeeling pur. allerdings floß der alkohol damals noch nicht wirklich so in strömen.

him said...


Nina said...

danke für den sehr aufmunternden Kommentar, aber nach diesem Artikel will ich nicht nur nach London! viel viel Spaß in Berlin

Lucas said...

I'm in Berlin now. I have been to half of these places already.

Anonymous said...

Seh ich auch so

Anonymous said...


James said...


Love the blog. Stupid, and at first seemingly irrelevant, question: but are you German/Berliners?

I run a blog about the city, and would like to know if I'm promoting locals when I go on about how great you are!


Lynn and Horst said...

Hi James, thanks for the nice words. We are German indeed and partly based in Berlin but our mind is based everywhere in the world...

James said...

I hear that... keep it up!