Mrs. Raf Sander, Epilogue

or 7 Reasons why the Jil Sander Spring/Summer 2013 collection, presented by Jil Sander, was in fact designed by Raf Simons

1. Raf Simons Spring/Summer 2009 vs. Jil Sander Spring/Summer 2013
"What I’ve been conscious of, from the beginning, is that I can’t be Jil Sander." - Raf Simons

2. Raf Simons Spring/Summer 2012 vs. Jil Sander Spring/Summer 2013
"I was expecting a difficult path but immediately the reception was good and I was being called son of Jil Sander." - Raf Simons

3. Raf Simons Spring/Summer 2010 vs. Jil Sander Spring/Summer 2013
"Men's fashion is more complicated than women's." - Raf Simons

4. Raf Simons Spring/Summer 2007 vs. Jil Sander Spring/Summer 2013
"I spend a lot of time reading about artists, trying to figure out how they approached something." - Raf Simons

5. Raf Simons Spring/Summer 2009 vs. Jil Sander Spring/Summer 2013
"I am somebody who focuses on a dialogue between generations - that's the drive of my work." - Raf Simons

6. Raf Simons Fall/Winter 2012 vs. Jil Sander Spring/Summer 2013
"In this business, I know I could work somewhere else one day." - Raf Simons

7. Raf Simons Fall/Winter 2009 vs. Jil Sander Spring/Summer 2013
“I am having to bring it back to our heritage.” - Jil Sander

Placement of typography, the grainy structure, the oversized suit, the sleeveless and the hourglass jacket. It is easy to identify constitutive elements of Raf Simons' design language. Jil Sander will need more time. Her real return will be in womenswear.


Duck said...

Thank you for posting this, you've restored my sanity.

Jasper said...

... this was very lack luster. perhaps it was the bland runway or the photography, but this collection just looks like amateurish!

"her real return will be in womenswear" is the perfect response! (biting my nails!)

Jasper said...

AND NOW AFTER i looked at the detail shots hoping for something more, i am still unimpressed :( the colours and fabric choices are again, very lack luster. i feel like GOD FORBID I SAY IT, on an h&m or uniqulo level... the cardigans.. cheap looking fabrics, tacky but no tacky enough colour combos. the brand needs more than minimalism, it needs some edge or a lot of lux which raf simons was able to bring! BUT LIKE YOU SAID, WOMENSWEAR.

Jonathan Daniel Pryce said...

A superb review. I love this collection but great, great post!

Anonymous said...

Sorry but all the commentators have no taste. I completely loved Jil Sander's new collection.

The bags seemed more luxurious-minimalist in a Celine kind of way and I loved the cashmere twin sets inspired by Mondrian paintings, the tailored shorts were a very new proportion I am very interested in trying, a kind of skate boarder boy short proportion but tailored, and as much as I love Raf, Jil's prints were better.